02 October, 2008

trip report part uno

So for our anniversary, B & I took a long weekend and headed up to Salado. I found this B&B online that sounded wonderful: lots of great reviews and a homecooked breakfast and homemade baked goods in the afternoons and 24 hour coffee access and 6 acres out in the country and they even have bees and make their own honey. Yowza - sounded almost too good to be true! However, I am thrilled to report that everything I read about this place is right on the money - it's fantastic! In addition to all that other stuff, the place was immaculate, the owners were attentive and friendly but never intrusive, and we met some super nice fellow travelers. The Yellow House B&B was our home base for the small-town explorations that filled our weekend. I took a billion pictures, which is why I have to break up a pretty short trip into several posts. So let's get started!

Here's the front of the house, aptly named obviously.


And here's the B&B side, with its cozy and comfortable porch.

Doesn't it just exude country charm?

Can't have a big ol' place in the country without a big ol' red barn alongside.

Complete with hammock...

and rusty stuff.

In the back of the property you will find the bees. And B standing very close to the bees. With his face right up in their beeswax.

Plenty of places to take a load off...

I think this picture would make a nice banner. You might see it again here someday.


We had no shortage of company...

Don't worry, it was unplugged.


I saw a lot of this guy's forebears fluttering around but they wouldn't be still for me like he would.


There were tons of birds in the yard, esp. cardinals which I LOVE, but they wouldn't be still either, not for a second even. Here's my cardinal picture, a real trophy shot. Can you see him?? (Obviously the tree was moving too. ha.)

Finally, some still birds. But they were just boring old doves, sitting on a telephone pole of all the unromantic nonscenic ruining-my-country-vibe places! Oh well. At least the pole was still.

Coming up next time: we head west. It's a good thing we took B's pickup, let me tell you, because I don't think my dadgum foreign-made sedan would have, um, fit in.

1 comment:

Boyz3Mommy said...

I love this post!! I can't wait to see the rest of the story!!