12 October, 2008

trip report part tre

After the winery, we headed over to Dublin, a/k/a:


Dublin DP is special - "real" - because it is the only DP that is still made with real sugar as opposed to that High Fructose Corn Syrup crap. Sure, all soda is junk food, but I indulge in it rarely, and I would much rather drink something made with good old-fashioned sugar than something made with a highly processed modified sweetener. Tastes better too.



The Dublin bottling plant is also the oldest DP bottling plant in the world. The company sets up a territorial limit for each plant, so that's why you can't buy Dublin DP outside of a 40 mile radius of Dublin.

Which is most unfortunate for us city slickers.

That's why we bought ourselves a case.

(This isn't our case, our bottles have stripes and are very retro cute but I didn't take a picture and really how many pictures of bottles can you stand to look at.)




While we were waiting for our tour to start, we checked out the alley across the street, which is, alas, just a stinky alley, BUT a stinky alley with some very cool sign art. And I dig sign art.






Also while waiting, I got to see a show across the street. This mom with a bunch of kids was yelling at them, and she said, well yelled, to them, "Sometimes I just think you're retarded!" mwahahaa. Is that terrible? I thought it was pretty funny.

Finally our long awaited tour began. (Yes, the sometimes-retarded kids and the yelly mom came too.)

First we all got a free ice cold Dr. Pepper!

Then we went to this room:




Next we went to this room:

(I call this my Laverne & Shirley shot)

Then we went to some rooms where we couldn't take pictures, with posters of past ad campaigns and various signage and memorabilia.

Then we went to the gift shop and spent, um, 80 dollars.

Then we left.

Tours are supposed to last 45 minutes. Ours began at 2, and by 2:45 we had taken the tour, spent a LONG time in the gift shop, and were 10 miles out of town.

So there you have it, folks. Such is the magical fascinating wonderland that is the Dublin Dr. Pepper bottling plant tour! We drove all the way out to the middle of nowhere and used up all kinds of expensive gasoline to get this information for you people so that you won't have to! We're just generous, thoughtful and caring like that.

But not generous, thoughtful and caring enough to share our case with any of you. Hello? They don't even SELL IT HERE. Go get your own.

And while you're there, if you have $ 2.50 and an extra 20 minutes, go on and take the tour. Just watch out for that gift shop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! Glad you went for us! Thanks so much for the Dr. Pepper. Buy, it really brought back memories of my childhood, long, long, um..long ago. There is definitely a different taste. And since I usually drink the diet stuff, it really tasted good!

Boyz3Mommy said...

yummy. that just made me want to go even more!!!! :)

Unknown said...

Dublin is my Dad's home town. My grandmother lived there until she died. I have Dr. Pepper in my veins.