16 October, 2008

trip report the last

We continued our circuit of small town attractions by going to the Koffee Kup in Hico, known for its large assortment of homemade pies.

See?

It's also apparently known for its wide appeal to biker-type people. And I'm not talking Lance Armstrong here either. I think we were the only dorks in the whole joint. Well I'm a dork. B isn't. B actually rides a motorcyle, much to my chagrin, but he definitely doesn't fit the profile of a biker-type person. I never knew pie was so popular with that crowd.

Anyway, our waiter was a non-biker type too, and he was very friendly, but not in a weird way, and look what he did to our pie!


I guess the waiter is a dork too. Maybe that's why he was so friendly to me, he sensed in me a kindred spirit.

Or maybe he serves everyone their pie this way, and I am really really a dork for even thinking he did it just for me.

But at least I didn't say, now that is service with a smile! That would have been super dorky!

I would be remiss if I did not mention the other big part of our day - the cows.

It's quite possible that I have never seen so many cows in a 6 hour period in my life.

I guess there's not much else to do round those parts except operate ranches. It does have a certain romantic appeal to me, and I blame this lady. But I just kept wondering where in the world do these people buy their groceries??? Do they have to pack dry ice with them when they go to the store for milk and yogurt and ice cream? They eat milk and yogurt and ice cream, don't they?? Especially ice cream????? Then I started to feel the panic rising from my vicarious dairy-withdrawal and decided it might not be all that romantic to live on a ranch in the middle of nowhere after all.

OK this is the same cow from up there ^ but trust me, there were a bajillion cows, we were just driving by too fast to take pictures.

There were also a lot of goats. Despite this limited photographic documentation, the cow activities we observed were quite varied. Sure, there was plenty of eating/grazing/chewing the cud, but also there was hanging out and chilling with the homies, gettin down wid (or up on) the ladies, sleeping, swatting flies, aimless wandering, all kinds of stuff. But the goats - every single one of them, every single time we saw them, were always, ALWAYS eating. I get a sort of sick pleasure when I see stereotypes in action.

Which brings me to Walburg and its "world famous" German restaurant. Which is where we ate that night. It's kind of like the Salt Lick in that you are driving for miles and miles in the middle of nowhere and then all of a sudden there are hundreds of cars and people all converged in this one spot. It was a beautiful night so we sat outside in their biergarten. There was a traditional German band playing, and even some traditionally clad dancers (including lederhosen I kid you not), a big German beer selection, delicious schnitzel, pucker-inducing vinegary potato salad, and a whole helluva lot of white people. Like I said... heh heh.

So, that about covers our tiny little trip. I think I've gotten a lot of blog mileage out of it considering all we really did was drive around a lot.

Oh, and the pie?


Key lime, baby.

And it was delicious.

The end.

3 comments:

Boyz3Mommy said...

Well Susie-Q...I think this is JUST the kinda trip for me. I loved your stories and loved your pictures. Now I just wish Mac would be as happy as I would be just to go drive and visit. Thanks for sharing!!

MichelleSG said...

That is sooo Texas, drive and drive and drive with nothing but cows and goats then all of a sudden a restaurant surrounded with cars and filled with white people. Yeah Texas Salt Lick, sounds about right.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess I would have to identify with the goats - I eat all the time, too. And I'd love to be eating some of that key lime pie right now!