08 September, 2008

snakes and snails

On Sept. 9th, back in 1981, just 2 years after my title of Only Child was unceremoniously revoked, and the new position of Big Sister was thrust upon me even though I did not campaign for it, my official duties doubled when Little Brother became a member of the cabinet.

As with Little Sister, I wasn't as close to him as I might have been had our age difference been smaller. They were certainly close to each other... and I spent a lot of time in my room trying to get away from them.

Alas, Little Brother continued with the regime that Little Sister had started, but dangit if he, just like she, wasn't awfully freaking cute. Allow me to present Exhibit A:



(Our family has never been big on dining room furniture. Gotta problem with that?)



Once he got older, I realized that he and I had many more things in common than just bugging each other. And it's still that way... our musical tastes, for instance, while not identical by any means, are often aligned. And we certainly both love an irreverent movie. And I think we're both still wondering what in the world we want to be when we grow up. (Though I'm sure he'd be down with rock star or ultimate fighting champion, and I would be okay with professional Parisian or um, professional ice cream taster. But you know, I'm just talkin' bout these damn day jobs that keep interfering with our DREAMS maaaann!!)

I think it's so cool that he writes and plays music and has been in a bona fide band. And it's really sweet to see how good he is with our Niblings (niece and nephew types). And my word, he did grow up to be a handsome young feller! Allow me to present Exhibit B:




(Image used without permission. No endorsement of Corona Extra implied. But it is good, though, you should have some.)

Have a great birthday R! Love you!


2 comments:

MC said...

Nice birthday greeting for your baby brother! Can't believe you guys are all grown up and everyone survived each other!

Anonymous said...

It's a good thing he is so cute, or I think it is questionable if he would have survived all these years :-)