20 September, 2008

Oat & Toffee Grahams

Mmm-mmmm, my friends, these are a winner! I got the recipe from Culinary in the Country, one of my favorite cooking blogs. Joe's post about these, and the link to the recipe, can be found here. I followed his advice to brown the butter rather than simply melting it, and that definitely added an extra depth and yumminess factor to these bars. I also took his suggestion about the crushed salted pretzels as a topping (instead of almonds), which was inspired and delicious. Finally, I used semisweet chocolate instead of the bittersweet he calls for, as I was making these for co-workers and thought bittersweet might be too much for them. (However, if I were making them just for me, I would have used bittersweet.) One note of caution: do be sure the oat topping covers all the graham crackers, I did pretty well but left a few slim edges exposed and had to cut away some burnier bits.


These are decadent and pretty sweet, so pace yourself. A strong cup of coffee would be a perfect accompaniment, to cut/balance that sweetness.

These bars are highly recommended. Enjoy!


3 comments:

mbc said...

Wow, my friend. Those are delightful looking! And fall-ish--I'm so ready!

Boyz3Mommy said...

Yummy. Co-workers, huh? Dadnabbit. I used to be one of those..to think I missed out.

MC said...

Okay, I didn't find the recipe...where is it? I looked at the site you mentioned, but didn't find the actual recipe.