20 November, 2008

spicy pumpkin enchiladas

I can't stand pumpkin pie. I don't know what it is, I like those flavors and I like creamy pies, but blech, something about it just wigs me out. However, I will pretty much eat pumpkin in any and every other way imaginable. And it's good for you, too - bonus!

I found this recipe where I find a ton of my recipes, from the Cooking Light bulletin board. I'm just a lurker, I don't need yet another cyber place to waste spend time posting stuff. If you ever want to kill a few minutes between projects, or just get some ideas for dinner, I highly recommend stopping by and browsing around. There's a link to the main page over there somewhere. ---->

These babies came from this thread; my notes and changes are below. You could do whatever you want for the filling, though beans and/or chicken sound better than beef or pork in this case, at least to me. The only thing that some people might have a problem with is that they're pretty mushy, esp. the first night. So if that bothers you, well you should try to get over it because these are so yummy. But if it really really bothers you, you might want to skip these.


SPICY PUMPKIN SAUCE/ENCHILADAS

1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
4 garlic cloves, peeled (I used 3 and it was PLENTY)
1 jalapeno, quartered (remove ribs and seeds for less heat, if wimpy)
1 tsp. chili powder (I also added a dash of cumin)
8 corn tortillas (6 inch)
Filling of choice (see below)
1-1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar (or just enough to cover it)

Serves 4
* Prep time: 20 mins.
*Total time: 1 hour

Preheat oven to 425. In a blender, puree pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, 2-1/2 cups water, 2 tsps. salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper until smooth. (Hold blender top firmly as blender will be quite full.) Pour 1 cup of the sauce into the bottom of an 8 inch square or other shallow baking dish. (** I used a 9x11 inch dish, I think - I would NOT use anything smaller than that, it was FULL.)

Nuke the tortillas for a few seconds or dip in simmering water or whatever you do to make them pliable. Roll tortillas with filling: mound on half of the tortilla and roll up; place seam side down in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with cheese.

Place dish on a baking sheet (I didn't, but remember I used a bigger dish); bake until cheese is golden and sauce is bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool five minutes before serving.

FILLING: I used a can of black beans, drained and rinsed, combined with half a carton of Fage plain Greek yogurt, a small can of diced Hatch chilis (HOT of course), and about half a bunch of green onions, thinly sliced.

4 comments:

Boyz3Mommy said...

Hello Yumminess!!!

Anonymous said...

Those sound really interesting - I'll have to try them. I mentioned it to Dad and Kelli and they both turned a little green, but I think they sound good! Did Barry like them, too?

Susie said...

Oh yeah, he liked these. I was telling Tina earlier, though - don't taste the sauce before cooking, it needs to cook to taste good, just trust me on that one... I wonder what sounded icky to them? Maybe they only think of pumpkin in a sweet way? These really are better in every way on the 2nd night.

Kelly said...

Oh, i have a recipe to send you for pumpkin black bean soup. Pumpkin is a squash so it is very good savory. I would like to make your enchiladas, but Keith would never eat them. At least with the soup, I could freeze it and eat it for lunch.