11 January, 2009

our annual New Year's Day (ish) meal

It's January 11th you say? Well, we didn't even eat this until Jan. 5th, so... that's just how I roll. But we eat this a few other times during the year, no need to wait till next January before trying it for yourself!

First, make a pot of black eyed pea soup. Then bake up some cornbread, and at the very end saute some baby spinach. Yuh-hu-hummy!

Black Eyed Pea Soup:

The soup is based on a recipe a co-worker gave me, and I changed it up a little bit. (I'm going to write it conversational style because I don't have an actual recipe.)

Chop an onion and about the same amount of celery and a couple cloves of garlic. In a soup pot, saute all that in some olive oil for a few minutes. Also, add a few twists of freshly ground black pepper and a couple shakes of red pepper flakes. After the veggies have softened a bit, add in one sliced link of kielbasa type sausage (the pre-cooked kind). Saute that for a few minutes. Then add in:

2 cans of drained & rinsed black eyed peas

1 can of drained black eyed peas with jalapenos (I don't rinse those to better keep the heat & jalapeno flavor)

3 cups water

1 cube chicken bullion

1 package of grape tomatoes, each sliced in half

And any more seasoning that you want, like I usually add more black & red pepper and some salt and some garlic powder. Stir and bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 25 minutes or so, till thick and creamy. (Like most soups, don't judge this one till it's done, the whole is way more than the sum of its parts.) Taste, and tweak seasonings if necessary.

Now, while that's cooking, make your cornbread. I admit here in front of god and everybody that I use Jiffy cornbread mix and I love it! So sue me. I do make a double batch in one pan to make it thicker and fluffier. I use a bit more milk than called for and start checking for doneness way before the recommended time. (Do not overbake! Otherwise it will get dry and icky.) Of course you should put a big ol' pat of butter on it before you eat it. I also like to take some and put it right in my soup.

For the spinach, saute a small clove of chopped garlic (or half of a large clove, don't overdo it trust me) and some red pepper flakes in some olive oil. Stir continuously and cook on medium for just a minute or two, till the garlic is softened and fragrant but before anything burns. Then turn the heat down to medium low and throw in a bag of baby spinach. Gently stir and work in all the spinach so it gets coated with the oil and wilts a bit. This won't take long at all, so watch it or you'll have a big pan of spinach mush. (I'd still eat it though, yum.) Remove from heat and transfer to plates. Sprinkle with coarse salt. I used some grey Fleur de Sel that I bought on impulse and haven't known what to do with. Crunchy!

The soup and cornbread are great leftover, but make the spinach fresh if you have this for a second night.

This is easy-(black eyed) peasy, delicious and hopefully will bring all who eat it good luck and prosperity in the new year. If nothing else, it will bring them a few minutes of culinary pleasure, Southern style. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

MichelleSG said...

Looks fabulous! You know I had never heard of the black eyed pea thing for New Years until just this year? Is it a southern thing? I really know no one else that has ever done it. I made split pea with ham soup instead. Same idea, different pea. Probably no luck though!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! Think we'll be having black-eyed peas again real soon. I like them - don't know why I usually just have them on New Year's Day. The spinach sounds delicious - I could eat that a lot. Thanks for always putting the pictures on your blog, too - makes my mouth water!

Susie said...

Michelle - yeah it is a southern thing, maybe even more deep south than Texas though I grew up with the tradition and I'm Texan. As far as your split peas, I think you should be OK luck-wise because it's still peas! ;o) (And that sounds yum as well!)